« Youth overdoses spiking in suburbs | Main | Cigarettes back at no-smoking bar »

Yes, flashy bar sign is intoxicating, but is it art?

Milwaukee's JS Online reports (4 August 2005) that the museum director at the Milwaukee Museum of Art has asked the owners of the just-closed, south-side National Liquor Bar to donate its booze-bottle sign, which stood over the bar's entrance way. They declined and said the 20-foot-high neon inverted liquor bottle pouring endless intoxicating light into a shot glass would go on the auction block with the stools, beer tappers, tin ceiling and other flotsam from the landmark tavern's long run, now ended to make room for Walgreens. The article questions, however, whether the tavern sign should be considered a piece of art in the place.  Read more here.

Posted by Cynthia on August 7, 2005 at 02:09 PM in Art, Drinking Spaces, United States | Permalink